Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Defying Gravity

When I lived in Connecticut, being right next to Broadway was one of the biggest perks for me. I got to see some amazing shows (Aida - twice!, Chicago, Mama Mia, 42nd Street, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Urine Town, Rent, Nine, etc.) and also had the opportunity to get tickets to the opening night of a new show...something you may have heard of called Wicked. Unfortunately for me (and the poor sap who paid for the tickets) production got pushed back a week and the tickets were refunded. Sad story, right?Then, a couple of years ago, Wicked made it's way through Atlanta. At the time, I decided that I didn't need to buy tickets for every show I wanted to see (it does get fairly pricey) but as I've grown older I've also grown wiser. I've rethought that position and am now living in the moment. So when I heard the show was coming to The Fox again, I jumped on it. Good thing our 2nd anniversary is next week so Mark can count the tickets as my present :)
This past Saturday morning I woke at the crack on dawn (Side Note: On a Saturday, the "crack of dawn" is anytime before 10 AM) and headed down to the theatre to wait in line for the 8:00 AM box office opening. Ticketmaster wasn't getting my $15/per person service charge! I got to The Fox promptly at 8 and was less-than-thrilled at the line that wrapped it's way down the street, around the corner, and down the side-street. But the next 2 1/2 hours ended successfully, with me scoring great seats, a goody bag of Wicked paraphernalia (tee shirt, magnets, stuffed monkey, buttons) due to winning a raffle (thanks B98.5!) and also free passes to The Rocker (thanks again to the radio station).
So as I'm anticipating the show, and trying to learn the songs, I'm hoping to take inspiration from Defying Gravity...especially as Mark and I move into our new apartment this weekend. Did I mention it's on the 4th floor? Wish us luck!

7 comments:

lisa forsyth said...

yay we are planning on going to wicked and i've been listening to the cd for the last two weeks now! cant' get it out of my head!

Paula said...

Our tickets just came in the mail today and I am so excited. Major props to you for waiting in line and not paying the 15 dollare per ticket charge (and tickets to a movie to boot-score!)

The Hawkins Family said...

that sounds great. chad and i love shows too. i read the book and enjoyed it. have fun!

Amy said...

Try to make a pirate video of the musical for me ... J/K

See you in 4 days!

Mark and Lachelle said...

LUCKY! I'm jealous. I have never seen a musical in my entire life! Unless you count watching "Phantom of the Opera" movie.

lisa forsyth said...

so we got our tickets to go Oct. 15th! i can't wait!!!! and i can't wait to see you guys soon!

Shari and Grady Wroblewski said...

I've never seen it, but I do know your love for the Theater! Good work love! That will be so much fun! And 4th floor, can't get a whole lot better than that! I love your sexy bod!