Thursday, May 1, 2008

True Love

Cafe Rio...where do I start. I was there when it opened in Provo, and it's always held a special place in my heart. Maybe it's the fact that it's impossible to go there without seeing someone you know; maybe it's the eccentric employees (3 fingers, anyone?); maybe it's just the fact that it's the most delicious taste ever to enter my lips. Whatever it is, it's amazing. Since its been nearly 2 years since my last experience at the Rio, I decided it was time to attempt to recreate the goodness. Although it was seriously more cooking than I've done in the last 2 months combined (ok, 4 months), it turned out super good. Thought I'd share the recipe for those who also are in withdrawals. Enjoy. Dressing: 1 pkg Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch Dressing; 1 cup buttermilk; 1/2 - 1 clove of garlic (minced); 1/2 t lime juice; 1 cup mayo (or light mayo); 2 tomatillos; 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped); 1/2 small jalapeƱo (seeds removed) Mix all ingredients in blender. Refrigerate at least one hour prior to serving.

Pico: 2 tomatoes (chopped); 1/2 white onion (chopped); 1/4 bunch cilantro (chopped); 1 clove of garlic (minced); 1/2 t lime juice; salt and pepper Mix all ingredients together (duh).

Rice:
Cook white or brown rice as directed (use chicken bouillon in place of water). Once cooked, add 1/2 bunch cilantro (chopped); 2 tsp cumin; 1 small can of diced green chiles; 1 T lime juice; pepper.

Pork:
Cook 3 lb pork roast in crock pot (covered 1/2 way with water) on high for 3 hours. After 3 hours, drain most of the water and add 1 bottle taco sauce (8 oz); 1 T cumin; 1 cup brown sugar; 1 can Coke (not diet). Cook on low additional 3 hours. Shred before serving.

Now for all you Rio virgins, this is how you eat it - warm a burrito-sized flour tortilla on the stove, melting some cheese in the middle. Next you heap on the rice, then some black beans, then tons of pork. Top with romaine lettuce (shredded, naturally), pico, guac, and some crispy corn strips (cook a corn tortilla in the oven to make). Finish with tons of dressing and a lime slice on the side.

I know this is a lot of work, for all you non-chefs (like me), but it'll last you a few days at least. Delish!

10 comments:

Paula said...

YUM!! I will be totally trying this recipe. I have one for pork burritos that reminds me of the wonderful Cafe Rio as well. 3 fingers cracked me up because I totally remember the him! He was practically the only white man there.

Megan said...

Hi Noelle,

I had a friend forward me the recipe because I was desperate too and I'm sorry I didn't pass it on earlier to you. However, I didn't realize how much cooking it is either. It was a lot of work! Sometimes I just make the dressing now and use it for burritos. Your Cafe Rio looks delicious.

Mark and Lachelle said...

I love cooking, but dang, that's a lot of work!!! You must really love your Cafe Rio!! I'll be living in Utah for the rest of my entire freaking life, so I don't have to worry about not having a Cafe Rio around (I guess that's the only perk of living in Utah) Speaking of Cafe Rio, I think I have a free meal! FREE MEAL!

Her Royal Highness said...

I've never been to Rio, but reading the recipe made me salivate. I'll have to attempt this dish! Thanks for it!

AmyB said...

I am so proud of you! Look at you, Little Chef Boyardee! :)

AmyB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candice said...

Wait a tick...who really cooked that? Noelle...have you changed that much sense we left?

Lyndzee said...

Yummy! We cook this at least once a month but we also have a place called the Prickly Pear that is an exact CAfe Rio rip off and just as delicious. Congrats on the cooking...I know I am the laziest cook in the world. Good thing my hubby can live on cereal if neccesary.

The Collins said...

I am craving this like crazy!!........Also, we had a great time staying with your family in Destin. They are too cute! Make sure and tell them thank you again for us. Leslie and Steve

Amy said...

First, where did you get the recipe? (Jason will be thrilled!) And second, what have you done with my sister?! That's more cooking than you've ever done in your whole life all rolled up in one meal!!! What happened to the girl I used to know who lived on apples and cereal? I'm so proud ... *wiping a tear*