Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer Road Trip - Philadelphia

I was really excited to visit Philadelphia, since it was one of the major cities we were visiting that I hadn't been to before. We started the day at Edgar Allan Poe's house. It's run by the National Park service, so it's funny when you walk in and see park rangers. I enjoyed the visit, but Mark wasn't super impressed. Apparently, Poe lived in Philadelphia for 6 years and lived in 5 places but this home is the only one still standing. He did write some of his most famous poems while in Philadelphia, including The Tell-Tale Heart and The Pit and the Pendulum.After leaving Poe's house, we headed over to Geno's and Pat's for lunch. I didn't know which one we were going to try (having seen them both on The Travel Channel) but decided that Geno's would be a better backdrop for a picture, so it won out in the end. Philly Cheese-steak...overrated. I got a Provolone With and Mark got a Whiz With (With = with onions). I thought it was good, but it was just lacking a little something. I think cause it was too dry, or maybe they need some spices or something. But the locals were loving it and the place was totally slammed, so maybe it's just an acquired taste.In the afternoon we hit up the walking tour of of the city. Among the sights we saw were Betsy Ross's house and grave, Benjamin Franklin's grave, Christ Church, Independence Hall (where the Constitution and Declaration of Independence were signed), the Liberty Bell. It was extremely hot, but we had a great time.

Did anyone else think the Liberty Bell would be bigger?
Christ Church Graveyard, where Benjamin Franklin is buried.
Franklin's Grave: "A penny saved is a penny earned".Inside Independence Hall

The next morning, we visited the US Mint before heading to New York. It was cool to see coins being made (although they didn't give out free samples - bummer!).

4 comments:

Lynnette said...

I really liked Philly b/c of the history when I was there eons ago but it was really dirty. I've heard they've cleaned it up in the past few years. What did you think?

Candice said...

I haven't had time to read everyone's blogs but have tired really hard to keep up with mine. So far it looks like you guys had so much fun on your road trip...I will continue reading. To answer your question I have moved into my parents basement. This month Michael is popping from here to Aug and then next month he is in NC at Wakeforst.

Amy said...

So the Liberty Bell is smaller than expected? That and The Mona Lisa ... disappointing. ;)

Mark and Lachelle said...

Poe...what an odd man he was! And I just read Mark's post on China....freaking hilarious! Hope you guys are doing good clear over there!!