Monday, July 19, 2010

The Northeast was fun...now I'm thinking Far East....

Our 3 week road trip in June/July was amazing. We visited every state from West Virginia to Maine, plus a few others, plus Montreal and Toronto. As you can imagine, we took about 1500 pictures. I'll post them soon. But not this week, cause we're moving to China. I CAN'T WAIT!In case you're dying for more info...Mark is a Mechanical Engineer and works for Motorola. They're sending him over to work with some of their Chinese suppliers. So, duh, of course I'm tagging along. We'll be staying in Shenzhen (which is near Hong Kong). Specifically we'll be staying here. Looks nice, right? Mark's leaving on Wednesday (he's going to Korea for a week first) and then I take off on the 28th. We've been crazy busy packing the apartment for storage, getting our visas, and just trying to get ready. We're not quite sure how long we'll be there (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a LONG time) but it'll probably be around 3 months. I'm sure we'll take millions of pictures, so hopefully blogger isn't blocked and I can upload some while we're there. Wish us safe travels! And if you've ever gone to...pretty much anywhere in Asia, and have any travel suggestions, email them to me!

10 comments:

Amy said...

The hotel does look awesome and *whew* that it does include a complimentary breakfast and the rooms have a smal kitchenette it seems.

Megan said...

I'm glad you had fun on your massive long trip. And woohoo for China! How exciting!!!!! I can't wait to see pics. That place you are staying looks sweeeet.

McCallisters said...

Oh my heck! How exciting! I have a friend in Taiwan. Do you want her email?

Lindy Salmon said...

Wow. What an opportunity! We are so excited for you guys and look forward to seeing China through the eyes fo Mr. and Mrs B.

The Collins said...

Ya'll are so crazy:) I can't believe you are going to CHINA.....I know you will have a blast and I can't wait to see pictures!

Rachael said...

I lived in Taiwan when I was younger and have been to every country in Asia except Thailand. SO...email me if you have any questions. PS. Hong Kong is MY FAV!!!! YOU are going to LOVE IT! Can you say shopping?

Mark and Lachelle said...

I seriously cannot believe you fetchers are moving to China!!! That's insane, and awesome all at the same time!! I'm so excited for you guys! Can't wait to see pics and hear about your adventures there!

erin said...

I am so jealous! I'm dying to go anywhere in Asia. So exciting!

Amy Breeden said...

You are so adventurous Noelle! I love it! And you are going to love China! You must must read Wild Swans and Life and Death in Shanghai. Especially Wild Swans. It will really give you perspective on chinese culture and their history. And you won't be able to put it down...either of them. Here's some super practical advice: People don't wait in lines there...you have to push your way to the front with your money out, and you'll need a cozy pair of houseshoes, because you will not want to wear the shoes you wear in the street into your residence, and lastly,keep some tissue packs in your purse cause there's not always tp everywhere you go. And oh yea, be sure to try and bargain for most everything you buy...seriously. They'll jack the prices up big time on you since you're white, and bargaining is just how they do business over there.
You are going to have SO much fun!! I love China!

Lynnette said...

So, I finally got to see the hotel. 5 stars makes me feel better about your safety. (Can't help it, I AM the mom.) I'm excited for you both and proud of Mark's hard work that is getting you there. What an amazing experience for you! P.S. Are you taking empty luggage for my gifts?